Ekadashi rules: Do you know these 15 special rules of Ekadashi?
According to Hindu calendar, Ekadashi date of Krishna Paksha of Phalgun month is called Vijaya Ekadashi. This year, the date is on 9 March (Tuesday). According to mythology, Ekadashi fast is the best among all the fasts.
By observing this fast one attains salvation and fulfills all kinds of desires. According to religious beliefs, observing Ekadashi fast gives three times the fruits of worship. It is said that Lord Sri Ram also worshiped Vijaya Ekadashi on the sea shore for the victory of Lanka.
Lord Vishnu is worshiped on this day. It is believed that by the effect of this fast, sadness is overcome and victory is achieved in all actions. And one who observes this fast does not see failure in any work.
It is said that on the day of Falgun Krishna Ekadashi, Lord Rama reached the beach to attack Lanka. When the sea did not give way for Rama to cross, he asked the sages residing on the beach.
Then the sages said after each other’s counsel, ‘O Rama, you are the Almighty who crosses the infinite seas. However, when you have asked, listen, we sages perform fast – rituals before starting every work. You too should observe Phalgun Krishna Ekadashi. The method of this fast is that…
On Dashmi Tithi, take an earthen pot and fill it with holy water and install it on Satnaj. Keep peepal, mango, elder and guller leaves near him and decorate the Mars scenes. Then fill barley in its pot and install it on the urn. Establish a statue of Lord Lakshmi Narayan (Lord Vishnu) in a barley vessel and worship them.
Spend 24 hours on this date by doing bhajan-kirtan. After the night awakening, offer the urn with water in the morning for the ocean. Then on the day of Dwadashi, donate a pot full of food to a Brahmin.
With the effect of this fast, the sea will give way to you and you will also get victory over Lanka. Just from that day itself, the fast and worship of Ekadashar started to prevail.
Vijaya Ekadashi fasting auspicious time-
Ekadashi date starts – 08 March 2021 days Monday afternoon 03 to 44 minutes
Ekadashi date ends – 09 March 2021 day Tuesday afternoon at 03:12
Vijaya Ekadashi Parana Muhurta – from 06:37:14 to 08:59:03 on 10 March.
Duration – 2 hours 21 minutes
Rules of Ekadashi: Keep these things in mind …
1. One should wake up early in the morning on Ekadashi and should not sleep in the evening.
2. On the first day of Ekadashi, wake up early in the morning and after taking a clean bath, take a resolution of Ekadashi fast by wearing clean clothes.
3. After that, make an altar and place 7 paddy (urad, moong, wheat, gram, barley, rice and millet) on it before worshiping in the temple of the house.
4. Establish a kalash above the altar and put 5 leaves of mango or ashoka in it.
5. Now place the idol or picture of Lord Vishnu on the altar.
6. After this, dedicate yellow flowers, Rituffal and Tulsi Dal to Lord Vishnu.
7. Then take the aarti of Vishnu with incense and lamps.
8. On this day, Vrati should not use harsh words to talk to anyone to get the blessings of Lord Vishnu. On this day, anger and lying should be avoided.
9. On the day of Ekadashi, to get the blessings of Lord Vishnu, during the fast, sattvikta should be observed along with food and patience in your behavior.
10. In the evening, take the fruit after performing the aarti of Lord Vishnu.
11. Offer food to a Brahmin the next day and give it away as soon as possible by donating power.
12. After this, eat food yourself and fast it.
13. One should not sleep at night during Ekadashi fast. The fast should be devoted to Lord Vishnu throughout the night, chanting mantras and awakening.
14. One should not gamble on the day of Ekadashi fasting. According to religious beliefs, the person’s lineage is destroyed by doing so.
15. One should not steal even on the day of Ekadashi fasting. It is said that 7 generations commit their sins by stealing on this day.